Download our "Don't Become a Victim of Opportunity Theft" poster!
Vehicle Safety Tips
- Do not leave items of value visible in a parked car.
- Park in well-lighted areas designated for parking.
- Look into and around your vehicle before entering it.
- Drive on well-traveled streets.
- Keep all doors locked.
Property Safety Tips
- AVOID THEFTS OF OPPORTUNITY… Opportunity theft is the direct result of property and valuables left unattended and unsecured, even for short periods of time, which provides a thief with the opportunity to steal your valuables. Opportunity thefts are the most preventable crimes that occur;
- Never leave personal property such as books, wallets, pocketbooks, cash, jewelry, or bicycles unattended and unsecured;
- Never leave laptop computers, calculators, and other items of value unattended in library areas;
- Lock the doors to your room, office, or lab when you leave, even if it is only for a few minutes. Most reported thefts occur in unlocked areas;
- Take advantage of "Operation Identification", mark your valuables in some distinctive fashion. Engravers are available at Campus Police headquarters.
- Do not give out personally identifiable information over the phone or Internet, such as bank account numbers and social security numbers.
- Only shop with companies you know. Always use a secure browser.
- Limit personal information on necessary public distribution items (checks, business cards).
- For additional information, visit the FTC Web site.